Leadership and Training
The Royal Children's Hospital (RCH) utilises support from donors to ensure our practice is both excellent and leading-edge.
The Foundation provides funding for academic leadership, education programs, scholarships, fellowships and the fostering of academic excellence for staff and future generations of health care professionals. This ensures the RCH maintains its place as Australia’s leading children’s hospital, and that patients benefit from the best and brightest medical minds.
Supporting and developing leadership and innovation in paediatric health care has immediate impacts for both patients and staff. Prioritising education and training at the RCH ensures excellent clinical care, and provides learning opportunities and knowledge transfer amongst and beyond the highly skilled staff of more than 4,000.
Excellent education programs attract bright trainees and the best clinicians from around Australia and internationally, while also improving retention of staff and the standard of clinical care at the RCH for our young patients.
The Foundation funds leadership roles at The University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics, allowing for an integrated approach to teaching and learning on the RCH campus, with an emphasis on supporting innovation.
Providing funding for academic leadership, scholarship and the fostering of academic excellence is one of the most exciting opportunities for donors to contribute to children’s health.
HEADS OF DEPARTMENTS AND RESEARCH CHAIRS FUNDED THROUGH THE FOUNDATION IN 2012/2013
- Professor of Developmental Medicine, funded by The Apex Foundation for Research into Intellectual Disabilities, The University of Melbourne Department of Paediatrics and the Foundation
- Director of Clinical Research, funded by the Foundation
- Professor/Director of Nursing Research, funded by the Foundation
- Jigsaw Foundation Chair of Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Professor/Director of Cardiology, funded by the Foundation
ONGOING LEADERSHIP POSITIONS FUNDED THROUGH THE FOUNDATION
- The Victor and Loti Smorgon Chair of Paediatrics, The University of Melbourne, funded by The Victor Smorgon Charitable Fund
- Chair of Paediatric Surgery, The University of Melbourne
- Stevenson Professor of Paediatrics research program
- The Aitken Fellowship, funded by the Estate of Ilma Mary Short
- Neurosurgery Fellowship, funded by the Foundation
- Uncle Bobs Neurology Fellowship, funded by the Uncle Bobs Club
- RCH Medical Fellowships, funded by the Foundation
- Clinical Fellowship in Neuromuscular Disease, funded by CSL Limited
- Endocrinology & Diabetes Clinical Research Fellowships, funded by Novo Nordisk and Ipsen
- Allergy & Immunology Fellowship, funded by the Foundation
- RCH Medical Fellowship (Obesity), funded by the Foundation
- Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Nursing Scholarship
- Rosemary Derham Scholarship
- Jeannie H Poolman Scholarship
- Jeff Crouch Memorial Scholarship
- Kate Campbell Scholarship
- Volunteers’ Nursing Scholarship
- General Registered Nurses Scholarship
- Pelican Auxiliary Nursing Scholarship
Scholarships funded through the Good Friday Appeal
- The Pied Pipers’ Scholarship
- Uncle Bobs Travelling Scholarship
To find out how to apply, see the scholarships website.